Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, December 15, 2008

In My Mailbox- Week of Dec 8 Part 2

This may be a fairly short edition. Using Firefox allows me to log in to Amazon Associates, so I can provide links and all that now. But I don't have much time before I have to head back home to have some lunch before work, so here we go.


Willow by Julia Hoban
Seven months ago, on a rainy March night, sixteen year- old Willow's parents died in a horrible car accident. Willow was driving. Now her older brother barely speaks to her, her new classmates know her as the killer orphan girl, and Willow is blocking the pain by secretly cutting herself. But when one boy- one sensitive, soulful boy- discovers Willow's secret, it sparks an intense relationship that turns the safe world Willow has created for herself upside down.

Told in an extraordinary fresh voice, Willow is an unforgettable novel about one girl's struggle to cope with tragedy, and one boy's refusal to give up on her.


Flygirl by Sherri L Smith
Ida Mae Jones dreams of fl ight. Her daddy was a pilot and being black didn’t stop him from fulfilling his dreams. But her daddy’s gone now, and being a woman, and being black, are two strikes against her.

When America enters the war with Germany and Japan, the Army creates the WASP, the Women’s Airforce Service Pilots—and Ida suddenly sees a way to fl y as well as do something signifi cant to help her brother stationed in the Pacific. But even the WASP won’t accept her as a black woman, forcing Ida Mae to make a difficult choice of “passing,” of pretending to be white to be accepted into the program. Hiding one’s racial heritage, denying one’s family, denying one’s self is a heavy burden. And while Ida Mae chases her dream, she must also decide who it is she really wants to be.



Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman
Eon has been studying the ancient art of Dragon Magic for four years, hoping he'll be able to apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune. But he also has a dark secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been living a dangerous lie for the chance to become a Dragon-eye, the human link to an energy dragon's power. It is forbidden for females to practice the Dragon Magic and, if discovered, Eon faces a terrible death. After a dazzling sword ceremony, Eon's affinity with the twelve dragons catapults him into the treacherous world of the Imperial court, where he makes a powerful enemy, Lord Ido. As tension builds and Eon's desperate lie comes to light, readers won't be able to stop turning the pages...


If I Stay by Gayle Forman
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen year- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she fi nds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.


Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas
Anke’s father is abusive. But not to her. He attacks her brother and sister, but she’s just an invisible witness in a house of horrors, on the brink of disappearing altogether. Until she makes the volleyball team at school. At first just being exhausted after practice feels good, but as Anke becomes part of the team, her confidence builds. When she learns to yell “Mine!” to call a ball, she finds a voice she didn’t know existed. For the first time, Anke is seen and heard. Soon, she’s imagining a day that her voice will be loud enough to rescue everyone at home—including herself.


My Thoughts: I know virtually nothing about these books, lol. Jillian included them in the package and none of them were things I asked for. They do all look really good, but they weren't books that I was particularly ecstatic and excited over wanting. But I will be reviewing them eventually whenever their release dates are. Eon is actually a repeat book. I got it a couple months ago randomly from Anne at Penguin. By the way, I'll probably be holding a Christmas contest soon to give away the 4 remaining duplicate books (someone has already claimed 2 of them), so keep an eye out for that!

That's all for today. Hopefully tomorrow, I might be able to do the rest since my computer is still out of order, but I'm not sure since Tuesday is my busy day.

7 comments:

  1. I hate when I have computer problems. Makes me a nervous wreck (especially when i was in school)

    I'm definitely excited about Willow and love the cover of Flygirl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willow is really good! I got it this week also, and I'm almost finished - it's actually sitting right next to me calling my name, lol.

    Because I Am Furniture looks really good, too. I can't wait to see some reviews of that one!

    hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Because I Am Furniture looks great. I hope you like the books!

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I have all of those except for "Eon". I'm really excited for Willow and Because I Am Furniture and I'm pretty sure you'll like them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first, when I saw EON I totally misread it as something by L. Ron. Hubbard (don't ask!) and I was like Boothy is a scientologist??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! I am super excited about you receiving If I Stay. I've had my eye on that one and Willow for awhile.

    Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taren- I thought you knew all about my Scientology beliefs and how much I love it, L. Ron Hubbard and Tom Cruise! I mean, goodness, I spend a lot of time preaching it on MCMB and whenever you and I converse.

    :)

    ReplyDelete