Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fresh New Voice of YA- Interview with Kiersten White


1) How did you get the idea for Paranormalcy?

It all started when I received a mysterious package with a pink Taser inside. A pink Taser--with rhinestones. Who would carry such a thing? What purpose could it possibly serve? Then I was attacked by a vampire and discovered just what a Taser could do.

Wait, no.

It was a combination of elements that started with wondering what you'd do with a vampire if you didn't want to kill it, which got me thinking about a government organization created to do just that, which gave me Evie in all her pink Taser-toting glory. Three weeks later I had a finished draft!


2) What was The Call like? Tell us all about it.

My phone rang. I answered it. That's how most calls start, I've found. However, this one was a bit different because I was expecting it. I knew Michelle Wolfson, my agent, had been going back and forth with a publisher all day in anticipation of our auction that was scheduled for the next day. I didn't know that publisher was my dream one, HarperTeen. And when Michelle called to tell me their pre-empt offer, I sank to the floor laughing in giddy disbelief. I still can't quite believe that my dream came true in a way that so far exceeded my very realistic expectations.


3) What are you working on now? Can you tell us anything about it?

I just finished up edits on the first sequel to Paranormalcy, Supernaturally. Now I'm working on an interview. After this interview, I'll probably work on another interview. After that interview, I'll probably work on another interview. After that interview, I'll probably cry.

Just kidding.

My next project I'm being very secretive about, because I like being mysterious. I'm going to go buy a trench coat, huge sunglasses, and a hat right now, in fact.


4) What is your favorite Jelly Belly jelly bean flavor?

Pear.


5) What book(s) are you reading now, or are about to start?

The Brixton Brothers: The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity. Hilarious.


6) Have you always been a fan of YA, or are you still new to it all?

It didn't seem like there was much YA ten years ago when I was actually the target audience, but I've been a fan since Harry Potter, and really started reading a ton after I graduated from college six years ago. I've now converted my entire family, including my dad who has never cared for reading, to YA. I really think YA has some of the best, most engaging writing out there.


7) As a Mormon author, do you know Stephenie Meyer personally? What do you two do on weekends together?

Yes, the Mormon community is very well connected. Sure, there are thirteen million of us, which makes the weekend barbecues kind of difficult to organize, but it's worth it!

Or not so much. Shockingly enough we don't all know each other. But I do know someone who knows her, if that counts?

3 comments:

  1. I loved this. She is so witty and hilarious! Great interview and can't WAIT to read Paranormalcy. It's in my towering stack--I need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last question cracked me up! I usually try to get books from the library, but I recently pre-ordered this one on Amazon because I've heard such great things about it.

    ReplyDelete