Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ask Book Chic (9)

Thank you all so much for the wonderful questions you've given me! I've emailed the winner of the prize pack, so if you haven't heard from me, unfortunately you didn't win. But once I need more questions, expect another contest! Anyway, let's get started:

Kit asked "Who started the "in my mailbox" segment on blogs? I want to know the first person to do this and its driving me nuts because I can't find any links."

I don't know about the ORIGINAL person because the blogosphere is such a HUGE place that it's hard to find the original source for anything. What we have is Kristi of The Story Siren who has really cultivated it and turned it into a meme, but she also credits Alea of Pop Culture Junkie with the idea.


Just_Me37 asked "Your house is on fire and you can only save three novels you own, which ones are they?"

Oh god! Hmmm. I'd probably grab a Meg Cabot book because I just love them and since my house will be burned down, I'll need a laugh. I'd probably also grab Rosebush by Michele Jaffe because I can't wait to read it and love Michele so much. The final book I'd take with me would be Straight Road to Kylie by Nico Medina because I love that book so much. I wish I had a better answer with more sentimental books or something, but alas, I do not, lol.


Breanna asks "What did you do to get people to actually read your blog? I feel like no one even reads mine. Like I'm doing these reviews for no one sometimes. It's frustrating!"

I totally get where you're coming from. You probably do have readers, but they're more of the lurking variety than commenting variety. But I'm not sure what to tell you because I originally started on Myspace so I was just friending anyone and everyone and sending out bulletins like mad, lol. So with that, it's easier to get people to look at your blog, then when I moved here, I already had a built-in audience. So I have no personal story of how to necessarily build followers starting on this format. I do have some ideas though (mostly yoinked from other people far smarter than I).

1) Be consistent. Set up a schedule for yourself on when to post something and stick to it. Your readers will fall into a rhythm and know when to expect a post from you and will come back looking for one on those days.

2) Follow other blogs. I know I usually check out who's been following me and then I follow them back. This isn't always the case (otherwise, my Google Reader would be even more full than it already is), but that's how it usually happens.

3) Make insightful, funny, or interesting comments on other blogs. As I'm sure you know, we bloggers appreciate a really good comment. If you post comments like that, other bloggers will take notice and check you out and comment on your blog.

4) Link exchanges. Maybe you're running a really cool event on your blog and you'd like to spread the word- ask some of your blogger friends if they wouldn't mind putting a quick link in one of their posts promoting the event. You'd do the same for them, right? It's a great way of driving traffic and introducing readers to new blogs. So everyone go check out Breanna's blog!!

5) Be Yourself. It sounds silly and cliche, but it's true. Blog the way you want to blog and try not to worry about readers and all that. If your personality shines through, the people will come, stay and comment. It'll happen naturally.

Good luck! :)

2 comments:

  1. If my house was burning down, I would definitely start grabbing books like mad, omg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome advice! I have the biggest fear of our home catching fire. I even had a fire alarm system installed and pay a hefty monthly fee to have it monitored and all that. O.o It's serious business with me.

    As far as I'm concerned the books can burn as long as my family and my pets are all safe. :) Books can be replaced.

    ReplyDelete