Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Numbers by Rachel Ward


Numbers by Rachel Ward
"Ever since she was child, Jem has kept a secret: Whenever she meets someone new, no matter who, as soon as she looks into their eyes, a number pops into her head. That number is a date: the date they will die. Burdened with such awful awareness, Jem avoids relationships. Until she meets Spider, another outsider, and takes a chance. The two plan a trip to the city. But while waiting to ride the Eye ferris wheel, Jem is terrified to see that all the other tourists in line flash the same number. Today's number. Today's date. Terrorists are going to attack London. Jem's world is about to explode!"= summary from Amazon

Numbers was not quite what I expected but I still really liked it. It was an interesting look into lower class life (at least in the beginning) as well as a fun thriller (middle to end). I really enjoyed reading about their fleeing and having to live on their own as they kept themselves from being hauled in by the police for questioning and possible arrest.

With most of the book just being Jem and Spider, the characters are fully formed and realistic and have their own unique voice. It's interesting to see how they go from acquaintances to friends to being in a relationship, all through the course of the book (which only spans across a week or so). The ending was one of those where you sort of know what's coming, and yet it's still a surprise when it happens. At least, that's how it was for me.

Overall, Ward has put forth a really good debut with a lot of emotion, suspense, and originality. I'm excited to read more from her whenever it comes.

FTC: Received book through Around the World tours. Link above is Amazon Associate link; any profit received goes toward funding contests.

7 comments:

  1. This has been on my list for a while. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review. NUMBERS sounds like a really good read, and I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey James,

    Thanks for the review. Numbers has been getting a bit of a mixed reception in the US, so I'm glad you liked it! I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea...

    Also pleased that the book reached you through Around the World - it's fun to think of my book going on an adventure that may lead who knows where...

    Best wishes,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. great review! this one is in my TBR- i'm borrowing it from my sister, and she said it's great! i can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow thanks all for the comments!! Glad you enjoyed the review!

    Rachel- Do you Google Alerts yourself? LOL. I was going to email you the link to the review, but I guess I don't have to anymore. Thank you so much for the wonderful comment. I really appreciate it! :) I'm looking forward to whatever else you write, and I was so happy to have gotten the chance to read Numbers. It was on my wish list for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I read this recently, and I loved it! I am looking forward to reading the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shamefully I Google myself regularly. (Didn't know about Google Alerts, sounds interesting!)Vanity, I suppose, but it's also fascinating to track Numbers' progression around the world and to read different reactions to it. As it's my first published book I'm amazed at what's happened - it really is a dream come true - including publication in the US and I count myself truly lucky.

    ReplyDelete