Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Fresh New Voice of YA- Heidi R. Kling Interview


1) How did you get the idea for SEA?

Sea was inspired by my husband's true life volunteer efforts in Indonesia after the tsunami--the long version is on my website http://heidirkling.com


2) What was The Call like? Tell us all about it!

Incredibly exciting! It all happened really fast. I had an interested editor and agent about the same time--so it was all a whirlwind. When I got the agent offer I screamed from my balcony to my friend down on the playground, "I got an agent!!" Pretty crazy.


3) What book(s) are you working on now? Can you tell us anything about
them?


I'm working on a fantasy which is a proposed trilogy about estranged witches and warlocks set in a modern day beach town--it's like Romeo and Juliet with magic. :-)
I'm also a contributer to the Mystic Falls Vampire Diaries anthology coming out with Smart Pop in October. #TeamDamon


4) Have you always been a fan of YA, or are you still new to it all?

I've always loved YA. When I was a teen we had Judy Blume and Sweet Valley High but that was about it. I'm thrilled to be publishing during the Golden Age of teen literature. It's such a dream come true to land in the right place at the right time like this.


5) What book(s) are you reading now?

I'm finishing Will Grayson and just started THe Demon's Covenant and If I Stay. (I like to juggle several books at once.)


6) What's your favorite Jelly Belly jelly bean flavor?

I'm partial to the tan ones with the spots. What is that one? Coconut cream pie or something?


7) You owned your own children's theatre where you wrote and directed
plays along with your boyfriend-now-husband before moving to New York. What was
that experience like? Did you enjoy writing for the stage? Did playwriting
help mold the way you write your prose now?


I loved writing and directing for children's theatre, the kids I worked with inspired me so much. They were so talented and enthusiastic--the fact that I'm writing novels for that age group makes me so happy. I've never worked with more eager people in my life than teens and young adults. The teen bloggers remind me a lot of my theatre kids--everything is so fresh and new for them. I'd love to do more with my original play at some point. We'll see. :-)

4 comments:

  1. Nice interview. I had no idea about the inspiration coming from the Indonesian Tsunami...I remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I like the sounds of Heidi's new book, Fun interview

    ReplyDelete