Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fresh New Voice of YA- Interview with Beth Revis


1) How did you get the idea for Across the Universe?

It all revolved around the last scene--so I can't be too specific without giving away the ending of the book. Bot the entire story--the characters, the plot, the setting--all of it was done in order to write the end.


2) Tell us about The Call/The Email for publication! Where did it happen? Did you do anything to celebrate the sale?

The negotiations started while I was teaching in class--I actually had to leave one of my classes for a bit in order to take a call from my agent! It was amazing--so mind-numbingly shocking--and then, of course, I had to turn right back around and start teaching a gaggle of teens about comma splices and semi-colons!


3) What book(s) are you working on now? Can you tell us anything about them?

I'm working on the sequel to ACROSS THE UNIVERSE right now--it's a trilogy--and the only thing I can say is that at least two things you think are true from the first book are actually lies...


4) What is your favorite Jelly Belly jelly bean flavor (or flavors, if you're so inclined)?

Purple, with red as a close second!


5) You founded a blog called The League of Extraordinary Writers, all about dystopian fiction (and Julia Karr, the other Fresh New Voice this month, is a contributer!). What spurred this idea, and how has it been running it so far?

I came up with the idea for the League after seeing sites like the Elevensies (which I'm also a member of) and Class of 2k11 (which I'm not a member of, though everyone there is lovely). I loved the idea of working with fellow debuts, but I wanted to narrow it down to one specific genre. A big influence was when I went to the book launch for Carrie Ryan's THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH. I remembered that Carrie had bookmarks out with covers from other similar debuts, and I found several new reads from that. I wanted the League to be a place where people who liked YA dystopian could dish about the genre and also hopefully find new books and authors to read.


6) What book(s) are you reading now, or are about to start?

I'm reading SISTERS RED by Jackson Pearce, BLACK HOLE SUN by David McInnis Gill, and I just ordered MAGIC UNDER GLASS by Jaclyn Dolamore.


7) Before leaving the profession to focus on writing, you were a teacher. What did you teach? Is there any particular moment or anecdote from your time teaching that sticks out to you as the most memorable or reminded you why you loved teaching?

I taught English--mostly tenth grade, although I also taught yearbook and did a section of 11th grade once. I loved every minute of it--except the grading and the way it sucked up every minute of my life. I really and truly loved the profession--there are so many moments that I treasure and keep close to my heart--the kid who told me I changed her life; the ones who still keep in touch with me today; the boy who decided not to drop out...they're all precious.


8) How was the decision for a reversible cover made? Had you drawn out the Godspeed ship blueprints while writing the book and that's what's included, or was it done without input from you? I want to hear the cover story!

Razorbill made the final decision on the reversible cover--it was actually all their idea, and I totally love it. As for the development of the blue prints, I had really REALLY rough sketches I'd used while writing the book--they turned them into the cool, futuristic design that the cover has.

I have a lame cover story! Razorbill did it all!

(I actually had some samples of my sketches up here: http://leaguewriters.blogspot.com/2011/01/interviewing-beth-revis-is-out-of-this.html)

3 comments:

  1. Great interview! Beth seems like such a sweetheart, I can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome interview. congratulations beth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great interview! Beth seems like such a cool person. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete