Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Fresh New Voice of YA- Interview with Kim Harrington


1) How did you get the idea for Clarity?
It actually all came from one line (which is now the last line of chapter two). I heard it, said in a snarky sarcastic voice, and wondered why someone would say that. (I don’t usually hear voices. This was the only time, I swear.) From that grew my main character and her unusual family. And then I wondered what was the worst thing that could happen to them, and I did that.


2) Tell us all about The Call/The Email for publication! Where were you when you got it? Did you do anything to celebrate the sale?

I was at home. I knew it was going to an acquisitions meeting that morning. But I had also heard of many instances where books got that far and it still didn’t happen. So I tried not to get my hopes up. But then the phone rang and my agent shared the good news! I was ecstatic. I don’t remember what I did to celebrate. I probably just went to The Olive Garden (see question #4) with my husband and son. (I know how to party!)


3) What are you working on now? Can you tell us anything about it?

PERCEPTION, the sequel to CLARITY, is all done—yay!—and I love it—double yay! Up next after that is a standalone supernatural mystery about a teenage girl who discovers that the house her family just moved into is haunted, and she must solve the mystery of the ghost girl’s death.


4) In your bio, you state that you're the pickiest eater on the planet. What qualifies you to make that statement? Give examples. I ask only because I think I'm the pickiest eater on the planet (also, I noticed we share some other similarities).

I don’t like meat, but I can’t call myself a vegetarian because there is one thing I will eat…the Sierra Turkey sandwich from Panera. But that’s it. I also don’t like vegetables, except tomatoes but I still don’t know if they’re a veggie or fruit. I won’t eat any seafood. I don’t like fancy, exotic, or unusual food. I basically eat pasta (with plain marinara sauce, no chunky sauce), pizza (plain), bread (not wheat), and sugary breakfast cereals. Speaking of sugary, I’m even picky with desserts. I only like yellow cake with traditional frosting. No chocolate cake, no cheesecake, no whipped or buttercream frosting. No tiramisu or mousse or anything people would describe as “decadent.” I’d rather have a Snickers. Most people would call me a freak; my husband calls me a cheap date. (Editor's Note: Kim wins Pickiest Eater in the World. I am not that picky, lol!)


5) What is your favorite Jelly Belly jelly bean flavor (or flavors, if you're so inclined)?

This is going to shock you, but I’m not a big jelly bean person. Okay, after reading my previous answer, I guess that isn’t too shocking.


6) Your favorite TV show is Lost, however that's been off the air since last May. What current TV shows are you enjoying?

I love True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, Fringe, Friday Night Lights, Greek, Gossip Girl, Modern Family, and Tosh.0. And, because I’m a nerd and not afraid to admit it, I also enjoy Naked Science on NatGeo and The Universe on History.


7) What book(s) are you reading right now, or are about to start? Any ones you're looking forward to reading later in 2011?

Right now I’m reading THE REPLACEMENT by Brenna Yovanoff. There are so many books in 2011 I can’t wait to read! THE REVENANT by Sonia Gensler, WILDEFIRE by Karsten Knight, POSSESSION by Elana Johnson, THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin, and so many others. I could go on and on (and so will my bookstore receipts). Thankfully, my preference for cheap food leaves more money for books.

3 comments:

  1. *laughing at the "cheap date" comment*

    I'm a picky eater, too! Well, not quite as picky as you, Kim. I like meat, but it has to be plain! :P

    Very fun interview. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Full disclosure: I am Kim's editor so, obviously, a tad biased. But I wanted to share that I, too, am a picky eater. Case in point: for the most part, I hate cheese and cream/butter, but I love pizza, and I LOVE ice cream. People, too, think I'm a freak. Us picky eaters need to stick together! (and publish awesome books like CLARITY). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I found someone who is a pickier eater than me! LOL. This makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete