Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Reminiscent Reviews- Total Constant Order by Crissa-Jean Chappell

Reminiscent Reviews is a new feature I decided to do when I was talking with Jordanna Fraiberg and Daphne Grab in August 2012 and I realized that I wanted to recommend their books again. The other plus to this feature is that I'll slowly but surely be moving all my Myspace reviews here onto Blogspot, which will be good in case something ever happens to Myspace. Basically, I'll be reposting my old reviews and then be doing an update on what the author has been up to since that book. Hope you all enjoy!

Total Constant Order by Crissa-Jean Chappell
"Fin can't stop counting. She's always heard a voice inside her head, ordering her to listen, but ever since she's moved to the Sunshine State and her parents split up, numbers thump like a metronome, rhythmically keeping things in control. When a new doctor introduces terms such as "clinical depression" and "OCD" and offers a prescription for medication, the chemical effects make Fin feel even more messed up. Until she meets Thayer, a doodling, rule-bending skater who buzzes to his own beat—and who might just understand Fin's hunger to belong, and her struggle for total constant order."- summary from Amazon

In Chappell's amazing debut novel, she really conveys the character of Fin in a very believable and sympathetic fashion. With patches of humor throughout and a very honest portrayal of the whole cast of characters, this is one book that should definitely not be missed. We here at Book Chic can't wait to see more from this promising new author!


Update: WOW. Short review, lol. I feel like I wrote shorter reviews back then. Crissa was a Fresh New Voice of YA when it was still pretty new back in Nov 2007 (it had started in August of that year). She disappeared for a while but came back this year with a new book called Narc, which came out from Flux in August. She recently sold another book that will be out in winter 2014. She was also one of the contributers for the book Dear Bully. Crissa is awesome and I was so happy to meet and chat with her at this year's BEA.


This will be my final Reminiscent Review for now as it seems like it was a feature that didn't really catch on. I may post another in the future, but it won't be a regular feature like I had planned.

2 comments:

  1. Awww...I hope you'll still do these Reminiscent Reviews every once in awhile - I've seen some good books to add to my TBR-list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I don't remember this book though the cover is like the one from Dreamland. LOL

    Anyway, it sounds pretty interesting :) I'll try to find this book

    ReplyDelete