Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Fresh New Voice of YA- The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder


The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder
"At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her.

For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity.

But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?"- summary from Amazon

Holder's debut is awesome. I love reading about mean girls but what I really loved about this novel is how realistic she makes these girls. They're given some backstory as to why they are the way they are rather than just have them be two-dimensional.

April was a great character with some flaws that I think will really make her relate to readers. Aside from all the meanness, there's also lots of humor in the book which I loved; it's very sarcastic. I especially enjoyed the parts with April and her new friends (not the mean girls). There was a small doubt I had with the romantic plot that I was concerned about (a cliche) but it worked itself out and I was happy.

Overall, just a very fun, smart debut and I can't wait to read more from Holder.

FTC: Received ARC through NetGalley. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

3 comments:

  1. While I didn't actually enjoyed this book all that much, I did enjoy most of the later part of the book.

    And I agree they were very realistic, the girls, but I do feel like I was too old for the book :P, which sometimes happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for realistic portrayals of girls! And sarcasm! Yeah, I'm definitely going to pick this one up. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. DO you still have your copy? My teenage daughter got an advanced reading copy and it is missing pages 142-175.
    She is distraught. If you can help please let me know.

    ReplyDelete