Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Locket by Stacey Jay


The Locket by Stacey Jay
"On her seventeenth birthday, Katie discovers a locket and decides to wear it for good luck. But when her boyfriend Isaac finds out she cheated on him - with their mutual best friend Mitch, no less - he dumps her, leaving her devastated.

And then a miracle happens. The locket burns on Katie's chest and she feels herself going back two weeks in time, to the night she cheated with Mitch. At first, Kate is delighted to be a better girlfriend to Isaac this time around. But as other aspects of her life become inexplicably altered, she realizes that changing the past may have had a dangerous effect on her present.

Can she make things right before the locket destroys everything - and everyone - she loves? "- summary from Amazon

This is my first Stacey Jay book even though it's her fourth release and I own her debut, but I have to tell you, I'm definitely going to be looking at the rest of her novels soon. I loved the voice and feel of The Locket, and Jay did a great job setting it all up.

I really liked the concept of the book and the logistics of it were handled well. The differences in this alternate world of sorts were interesting and I like how Katie's new decisions affected her life in ways she couldn't even imagine, even if they were tiny little things. Though I loved the twist at the end, which was pretty clever. I also thought she might end it a certain way, which would be very bold, but I liked how it ended.

I loved the scenes between Katie and Mitch, and also her friend Sarah. Jay does a good job with realistic dialogue that flows well and is also funny. I laughed out loud a few times during the book. But the book is pretty dark too at times, which I really enjoyed. I like when a story can do both humor and serious really well.

Overall, I'm so glad I picked this book up. I kept hearing wonderful things about Stacey Jay's work and now I'm happy to have finally read something of hers. Definitely a book I'd recommend.

FTC: Received ARC from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

5 comments:

  1. Hey BC!!!! I'm dying to read this book! Stacey Jay is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a tough story line to write.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover of this book! awesome review! =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit the cover of this put me off but you're review changed my mind, it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I not know this book existed?! I LOOOOVED her zombie books, MUST check this one out ASAP.

    ReplyDelete