Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg

Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg
"Emme, Sophie, Ethan, and Carter are seniors at a performing arts school, getting ready for their Senior Showcase recital, where the pressure is on to appeal to colleges, dance academies, and professionals in show business. For Sophie, a singer, it's been great to be friends with Emme, who composes songs for her, and to date Carter, soap opera heartthrob who gets plenty of press coverage. Emme and Ethan have been in a band together through all four years of school, but wonder if they could be more than just friends and bandmates. Carter has been acting since he was a baby, and isn't sure how to admit that he'd rather paint than perform. The Senior Showcase is going to make or break each of the four, in a funny, touching, spectacular finale that only Elizabeth Eulberg could perform."- summary from Amazon

Elizabeth Eulberg is one of my new favorite authors. I just absolutely loved her previous two books and couldn't wait for this one to be released. I was so happy when a copy arrived, especially during my break from blogging because I pretty much immediately started it, which if I had been going by a schedule, I wouldn't have been able to do.

I flew through the book really quickly. Each of the characters are so interesting and it was fun to read their journeys through the same school, as well as seeing their interactions with each other from different perspectives. I liked how Carter's chapters were set up like a movie script with the dialogue set apart from the regular prose; it emphasized how he grew up reading scripts and acting and that's pretty much all he's known.

Sophie was such an annoying character, especially as the book went on. I was fine with her in the beginning but after flashing forward to senior year and going through it, she was a mega pain and frustrated me with her lack of trust and just general rhymes-with-witchery. Emme and Ethan were both adorable in their own ways and I liked how they grew (and sometimes made mistakes) throughout the book. Plus, it takes place in a performing arts school, which is just plain awesome. I love the performing arts so this book was completely up my alley.

Overall, this book is amazing and everyone should read it, especially if you're looking for good contemporary. I think this is her best book by far and I cannot wait to read what she's got next!


FTC: Received hardcover from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

No comments:

Post a Comment