Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Meandering Monday- My Blogging Break

I took a blogging break from mid-February through the end of March. I'm going to restate my reasons here-

1) I was feeling a bit burnt out. In the span of a few weeks, I had started and put away three different books from different genres. That never happens. And it was also different genres, so it wasn't like I was burnt out on just paranormals or whatever. I figured it was time to throw away my schedule (I made a blog post schedule for each month, which included what I'd be reviewing) and just read whatever I wanted to read. There have been so many books I've missed out on because there wasn't time in their release month to cover them. It was sad.

2) I was also cutting it close on reviews. I'd be finishing a book then reviewing it on the same day because I didn't have enough time to get ahead on my reading. I hated that because I'd always be rushing through a book trying to get it done in time. I would rearrange my schedule so that I'd be reading a few shorter books so I'd have more time for the big 400/500 page book I was gonna review. WHY ARE THERE SO MANY LONG BOOKS NOW?! I just want a happy medium of like 250 pages. Is that so much to ask?


Anyway, so I spent this whole time catching up on reading but also taking my time with each book. I wasn't rushed, but I did fly through some books because I'd been so excited about reading them. Let me tell you guys: it was AMAZING. Being able to pick anything I wanted, and occasionally even starting books the same day I got them in the mail (like I did with Take a Bow and Underworld), was really great and freeing. No release date constraints. I think I may continue it like this, having a mixture of new and (kinda) old books reviewed on the blog. Plus, since I'm so far ahead, I can read like June releases now which is exciting. :)

The blogging break was exactly what I needed. I was able to sit back, take a breath, and reevaluate my blog and what I post on it. I definitely hope that my blog becomes better because of this break and new approach.

Have any of you taken breaks from blogging, or reevaluated how you structured your blog? Also, any suggestions for me on what I post and my reviewing style, or even just anything regarding my blog? I'm always open to suggestions and ways to improve my blog, so please let me know in the comments or in my email!

3 comments:

  1. I've Reevaluated my schedule at one point or another realizing that me reading a book when the release date is the second to last week of the month wasn't going to work

    I've also taken the slow approach to my blog and not worry about my monday/thursday review posts since I do have some back up entries I could post then when/if I didn't have a review on time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does feel like the average length of YA books has gone up, and while some benefit from the extra pages, some just get dragged out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James, I think you are an amazing blogger and if you feel like you need a break, go for it! I'm glad you were able to take a break and read what you wanted. I'm kind of feeling the same way you are. I need some me time and my blog may just have to take a back seat. Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling that way.

    ReplyDelete