Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Author Interview- Victoria Schwab


1) How did you get the idea for The Near Witch?

The Near Witch evolved from two sentences thought up six months apart. One: "The wind on the moors is a tricky thing." The other: "There are no strangers in the town of Near." I was a second-semester senior at the time, writing an interdisciplinary thesis for my major, but I started setting aside two hours, from 9 to 11pm each night, to go to the coffee shop on the edge of campus and write this book. It became sanity and discipline and escape.


2) Tell us all about The Call/The Email for publication. Where were you when you got it? Did you do anything to celebrate the sale?

It happened in two parts, actually! I was in the middle of Colorado when I heard that my dream editor wanted to have a phone call with me. I'd decided to take a three-week road trip around the US after graduating, and had to stop in Denver and find a landline so my agency could arrange the conference call. Abby and I spoke for a long, long time about the project, our goals, our tastes in fiction, etc. etc. etc. She wanted to make sure we'd be on the same page/a good fit, and I love her for that. And then I had to wait another THREE WEEKS to get the official offer! I was sitting in my office, and my house gets HORRIBLE cell reception, so when the agency called, I was terrified the call would get dropped. I also was convinced they weren't calling about a deal (because minds are funny things) so I was shocked!


3) You ran a small tour with authors Myra McEntire and Beth Revis called From Ash to Nash. How did this idea come about? Can you tell us any funny anecdotes from the tour?

We actually had the idea at a massive writer's retreat in Branson, MO back in February! And the tour was AMAZING. We focused on small/overlooked indie stores from NC to TN, and had such a wonderful experience. There was only one major hiccup, and it led to an idea of its own, so it wasn't all bad! I'm...um...not sure any of our anecdotes are internet-appropriate :p


4) What is your favorite Jelly Belly jelly bean flavor (or flavors, if you're so inclined)?

Peach!! I always THINK I like the popcorn one, and then I eat it and am disgusted. For some reason my memory insists on lying to me repeatedly in the popcorn-flavored-jelly-bean department.


5) What book(s) are you currently reading, or are about to start?

On my bedside table right now (all have been started): Divergent, Mr. Peanut, A Million Suns, Dust, Myths of the Northmen, and Beauty Queens...


6) You were part of the YA Rebels. How did you get involved with that, and has there been a favorite moment or vlog from the many vlogs that you've done?

I was lucky enough to be invited on-board at the start! And what an adventure it was. The YAR truly helped get me out of my shell, taught me to be more comfortable on camera and to laugh at myself. I think the evil cupcake video ("Sugar High Goes Sickly Sweet") is probably the best example of that ;)


7) What are you working on now? Can you tell us anything about it?

My next project doesn't come out for awhile, but it's called The Archived. I'm not supposed to say much yet, but I will say that it's kind of like Buffy meets The Shining meets If I Stay. In a library.

3 comments:

  1. Very much looking forward to hearing more about and indeed reading The Archived!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Buffy meets The Shining meets If I Stay. In a library."

    QUOTE OF THE DAY.

    ReplyDelete