Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sometimes It Happens by Lauren Barnholdt


Sometimes It Happens by Lauren Barnholdt
"On the last day of her junior year, Hannah's boyfriend Ryan dumped her. Facing a summer of loneliness, Hannah turns to her best friend Ava for comfort. Ava does what BFFs do: she stays by Hannah's side...until it's time for Ava to head up to Maine for the summer. Also left behind is Ava's boyfriend, Noah, who's such a great guy he gets Hannah a job at the diner he waits tables at. Slowly, Hannah comes out of her funk thanks to Noah's good conversation and their fun times at the diner. But things get complicated when their friendship turns into attraction--and one night, into a passionate kiss. The novel opens on the first day of senior year; the day Hannah is going to see Ava, Ryan, and Noah all in one place. Over the course of the day secrets and betrayals are revealed, and alliances are broken and reformed. In the end, everyone is paired up once again, but not the way you might think..."- summary from Amazon

It has been too long since I've read a book from Lauren Barnholdt. I've only read her debut Reality Chick (now repackaged as Watch Me) when it first came out and loved it. I have four of her other books (bought three of them) but haven't had the time to read them. I need to make that time because reading this reminded me of why I love Barnholdt.

This story was really compelling and Hannah has a wonderful, realistic voice. I also really liked how Barnholdt constructed the story, which bounces back and forth between the summer and the first day of school (though there's also a bit of the last day before summer in the beginning). It was interesting to be kept in the dark of what exactly happened that night.

I loved the interactions between Hannah and Noah throughout the summer. There was such an easy chemistry between them. I also liked Hannah's new friend Lacey that she makes at the diner; she was so funny. I hated Ava- she was just so manipulative and b*tchy; who would want her as a friend? She was no fun. The climax of the book was fantastic and it ended really well and realistically. I loved it.

Overall, an amazing new novel from Barnholdt and a perfect read for the summer. Definitely one to check out!

FTC: Received e-galley from S&S Galley Grab. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds great, I'll definitely be picking it up. I'm really interested to see how it all comes together at the end.

    Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review - I've been hearing good stuff about this one and can't wait to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good! I love Lauren's books and didn't know there was a new one-- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the review, I was nodding along while reading it. This was a great addition to Lauren Barnholdt's book list. I really enjoyed getting to know Hannah and adored Noah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear I'm the only one that didn't enjoy this book...I didn't like the MC much at all. Glad you loved it though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexa- It comes together really well in the end. Let me know what you think of it whenever you get around to it!

    Jennifer, Kristina, and Rowena- Thanks for commenting!

    Jessica- Really? I hope you didn't like Ava because if you did like her, that is just wrong. Do you have a review up already or is it forthcoming?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the way this story kept snapping back between the present and past, each time giving you a tantalising glimpse of what "it" was, before hurling you back in a different direction - I was hooked right to end. Like some of the other reviewers though I was a little disappointed in the way the book ended, it just seemed to cut off abruptly, right at the good part.

    ReplyDelete