Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Friday, September 25, 2009

Picture Post- Melissa Marr and Kelley Armstrong signing


So when I saw a long time ago that Melissa Marr was coming to Richmond, VA (just two hours from me) with Kelley Armstrong (who's Canadian, so she doesn't come down to this area much, if at all), I was absolutely ecstatic. I actually saw both at RWA from afar, but didn't want to go chat with them as I'd be at their event just a few days later; plus, as you saw from the RWA recap, I had a busy, author-filled evening that night, lol.

I've met Melissa twice before, during her tours for her first two books, so it's just become this ritual for me to go to one of her events every year (please don't move away from the DC area anytime soon, Melissa!). This was my first event without my dad (he accompanied me to the previous Melissa events and enjoyed himself both times, which was good) and instead was attending the event with a new friend of mine Benn and his friend whose name I can't remember. Both of them are huge Kelley Armstrong fans, and Benn's friend also really likes Melissa's novels and was trying to get Benn to read her stuff, which he did after the event where he bought copies of Melissa's books.

Anyway, I drove to Richmond with my roommate, who was coming along for the ride so she could visit her boyfriend. I dropped her off at his place, and went off to McDonald's for dinner then to the B&N where the event was being held. I arrived a bit early which was a good thing because by the time the event started, the place was packed. It was also a good thing I arrived early because I tried bringing in my paperback copy of Ink Exchange that Harper had sent me since I wanted it signed as well to be given away. Unfortunately, when I walked in, the things beeped and so I was worried that I was going to have to pay for a book I had brought in myself, so I took the book back out to my car and left it there. I just didn't want to be hassled. Anyway, they had set up a table and for some reason, had a line starting even though this was a reading too, not just a signing. Well, they remedied that situation and brought out chairs for everyone. And guess who helped bring out the chairs? Yes, Melissa and Kelley! I joked with Melissa when I saw her that she was working at her own event and helping to set up. They were both wired with caffeine though, so they needed to blow off some steam somehow, I guess, lol.



Once the event was set up, they came out and informally introduced themselves and then formally introduced themselves. This was the first of many hilarious moments to come. Both of them hate to read at readings, so they just did one long QnA session and threw out prizes to people who asked questions. Melissa had USB bracelets with deleted scenes, maps, and other goodies as well as court bracelets, and Kelley had Edison Group messenger bags and maybe tshirts too? I can't remember. The QnA session was really funny and interesting, and they both had such great chemistry together.

After the QnA, the signing started up and we all got into a wonky line and had our books signed. Melissa had a ton of court bracelets left over and so people were able to grab one or two when they came up to the table. She was so sweet and fished a USB bracelet out from her bag just to give to me since she thought I deserved one. We chatted for a little bit while she signed my copy of Fragile Eternity and also signed a copy of Wicked Lovely for the Ballads of Suburbia giveaway that Lauren of Shooting Stars Magazine hosted on her blog back in August. It was really fun seeing her again. Since I'd already had two previous pictures with her, I decided to hold off this time and not get one. Plus, I had to keep an eye on my friends in front of me who wanted a picture with Kelley since they're such huge fans of hers.



I took their picture with Kelley and then after that, they waited while I had my books signed. I had brought my ARC of The Awakening with me and then bought a copy of The Summoning for the giveaway I mentioned. Kelley was so sweet and thanked me for my recent (at that time) review of The Awakening and also told me that if I ever wanted to do a giveaway on my blog with her books, I should let her know and she would supply signed copies. It was just great. After she signed my books, I got a picture with her, and then said bye to her after that. I went up and purchased the books and then left. What was funny was that I had the ARCs with me of FE and Awakening and the cashier asked me if those were my own copies that I had brought. No, I just found these ARCs lying on your shelves and thought they were cool so I want to buy them, lol. But anyway, a fantastic evening and I loved every minute of it.


Picture 1- During the QnA session. Notice in the background how they set up the books on the left. Head facing right (Summoning), then head facing straight ahead (Awakening), then head facing left (WL). Isn't that funny? Picture 2- This is how hyper they both were as they were always a blur, and has nothing to do with my poor camera skills when there's no flash. Picture 3- Me with Kelley Armstrong. WOO!

11 comments:

  1. Glad you had so much fun, looks a great event.
    Have you seen all the great uahtors coming to Politics and Prose in DC over the next few months? I'm sure you have, as you seem to be much more up on these things than me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so lucky!
    I'm a huge fan of Kelley's Darkest Powers series (I love me some Derek, lol).

    I don't think I've ever read anything by Melissa Marr though, what's good?

    AG

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't believe how jealous I am of you at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had alot of fun. I am actually going to go and see Kelley when she comes to town in Oct. hoping to get my two YA books signed by her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, hey, great writeup. And they helped bring in the chairs? If these two came anywhere near my town, I'd so be there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your fun adventure. I definitely felt your ethusiasm : ).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alexa- I think I saw you mention a few on your blog, but I don't remember any of them, lol. I've never been to P&P, though I really should sometime. I know that Scott Westerfeld and Robin Wasserman are doing an event there and at a Sterling B&N. I'm going to the Sterling one since it's in the evening and gives me time to drive up.

    AnimeGirl- Well, Melissa just has one series, so start with Wicked Lovely, then Ink Exchange, then Fragile Eternity. The fourth book is out next spring and will be called Radiant Shadows.

    Kelsey- LOLZ.

    Cindy- Thanks for commenting! Hope you have a great time at Kelley's event! :)

    Carolyn- LOL yes they really did. It was shocking to see them do it at first, but then I just laughed, lol.

    Diane- Thanks for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was at that signing. It was great! The ladies are both very gracious and amazing. I hope they both come back. It's a bit of a drive for me from NC but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful. I am glad you had such a great experience. I've never been to a signing but if either of them ever came here I would definitely go. Not only do they write great material but they seem to be really good people. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to be in VA that weekend so bad! I live in NC and it would have been a 4 hour drive for me, but I would have done it. Unfortunatly the timing was bad and we were in FL on vacation. I hope Kelly Armstrong makes it back this way someday I am a huge fan of hers! Never read anything By Melissa Marr but I will sure check her out. Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is awesome! I LOVE Kelley Armstrong & her books. I haven't read Melissa Marr yet, but some day. Great pics, congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete