Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Team Human by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan

Team Human by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan
"Just because Mel lives in New Whitby, a city founded by vampires, doesn't mean she knows any of the blood-drinking undead personally. They stay in their part of town; she says in hers. Until the day a vampire shows up at her high school. Worse yet, her best friend, Cathy, seems to be falling in love with him. It's up to Mel to save Cathy from a mistake she might regret for all eternity!

On top of trying to help Cathy (whether she wants it or not), Mel is investigating a mysterious disappearance for another friend and discovering the attractions of a certain vampire wannabe. Combine all this with a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, and the occasional zombie, and soon Mel is hip-deep in an adventure that is equal parts hilarious and touching."- summary from Amazon

Oh my goodness, I loved this book!! I absolutely adored Mel's voice- very sarcastic and I'm always a huge fan of that. I also liked watching her evolve throughout the book and seeing how her interactions change. I especially liked seeing her and Kit together (by the way, I kinda want a Kit of my own now) and their quick wit.

Brennan and Larbalestier do a great job co-writing, you basically forget it's two different people. The prose is very smooth and is consistent throughout. I really enjoyed that while the book had vast amounts of humor, there's also a lot of emotional journeys and some dark stuff going on. I did figure out the mystery a bit before it was revealed, but that didn't bother me too much. I really liked how the authors made the town of New Whitby- its history and how it works. Their take on how vampires are made is pretty clever and unique too.

Overall, a definite recommended read for vampire fans and haters alike (like Maureen Johnson says in her blurb) and also for those of us who don't care about them either way and just want a good read.

FTC: Received ARC from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

2 comments:

  1. Kit is the best! Everyone should swoon over him. And I loved the worldbuilding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard so many great things about this book! It will definitely be interesting to read a book where the main character is anti-vampire

    ReplyDelete