Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Anyway by Arthur Salm

Anyway by Arthur Salm
"Max is a good kid—but you wouldn’t know that if you met him at the boring family camp his parents dragged him to over the summer. There, for a few exciting weeks, Max reinvents himself as “Mad Max” and gains a bad-boy reputation for being daring, cool, and fearless.

But when Max returns home, he finds it’s easier to be fearless with strangers than it is among friends, and he is not particularly proud of the way his behavior over the summer hurt people. Can he find a way to merge his adventurous alter ego with his true identity as a good guy?"- summary from Amazon

This was a good, funny book but wasn't necessarily something that held my attention. I thought it would be a quick read since it's a middle-grade book with some illustrations and footnotes and also because it's 180 pages. I was wrong- it took me 2.5 months to read it. I just didn't feel compelled to read it. I liked it while I was reading it, but I was never DYING to open it back up again. I usually had it next to my bed and might read a few pages before heading to sleep, but it wasn't something where I needed to know what happened next.

Max is a wonderful character though and I enjoyed reading his adventures. I think middle-grade readers will definitely enjoy this book. Salm did a great job with Max's voice and it really rings true. Max is a boy just trying to find his way in this crazy world, just like everyone else.

Overall, this book is a good effort, but not necessarily a run-out-and-get-it kind of read.

FTC: Received hardcover from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

No comments:

Post a Comment