Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Origin by Jessica Khoury

Origin by Jessica Khoury
"Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home--and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin--a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever."- summary from Amazon

Khoury's debut is fascinating. I loved reading about Pia and following along on her journey toward uncovering her past. There's a ton of twists and turns throughout the book and I definitely flew through the book.

I liked the relationship between Eio and Pia, though it did feel a bit insta-love to me at times and I never really bought into it too much.

I liked Khoury's mythology, how she built the world of the rainforest and Little Cam- it felt very real to me and it felt like I was there. The backstory of Little Cam was very interesting too. There's definitely a dark nature to this book as well in regards to scientific research and how far some people willing to go in pursuit of that. It's an interesting topic. Of course, I was not a fan of the scientists who were very cold-blooded. I did however really like the new scientist that comes in a little ways into the book- I cannot remember her name and am too lazy to look it up. But I really enjoyed her.

Overall, an amazing debut (and possibly standalone- I can't find info on Khoury's second book- which is always good). I cannot wait to see what Khoury writes next!

FTC: Received ARC at BEA. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

1 comment:

  1. That's cool! I've heard so really good things about this book and I'm glad you enjoyed it too, even though it's not really my kind of book I'm very curious about it.

    ReplyDelete