Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Reminiscent Reviews- In Your Room by Jordanna Fraiberg

Reminiscent Reviews is a new feature I decided to do when I was talking with Jordanna Fraiberg and Daphne Grab in August 2012 and I realized that I wanted to recommend their books again. The other plus to this feature is that I'll slowly but surely be moving all my Myspace reviews here onto Blogspot, which will be good in case something ever happens to Myspace. Basically, I'll be reposting my old reviews and then be doing an update on what the author has been up to since that book. Hope you all enjoy!

In Your Room by Jordanna Fraiberg
"When their families decide to swap houses one summer, Charlie and Molly think it's going to be the worst summer of their lives. Charlie loves the omnipresence of nature and forest trails for him to bike on in the town of Boulder, Colorado. Molly is a pure city girl and avoids much of nature at all costs living in Los Angeles. When the swap finally happens, both of them begin to email the other and form a bond, and slowly begin to try out new things and breaking out of their shell. Can perfect strangers be perfect for each other?"- summary from somewhere, lol.

Let me preface this by saying that I will be gushing about this book even more so than I usually do. This story is so romantic, and the ending just had me in smiles even after I had closed the book. Told from both Molly and Charlie's POVs, as well as emails and IMs with each other and their friends, the story unravels quickly and makes the pages fly by. Fraiberg's debut is fantastic, especially with tackling the tough task of writing realistically from the opposite sex's point of view, but she handles it effortlessly and it doesn't come across as forced. Also, this book is hilarious and filled with laugh-out-loud moments. Keep an eye out for this author- she's sure to dazzle us even more with her future books.


Update: This was posted back in 2008 when the book came out. Jordanna Fraiberg unfortunately has been MIA since then, but she told me she has a new book coming out in Summer 2013 from Razorbill (imprint of Penguin) titled OUR SONG. She and I have kept in touch over the years and when I contacted her recently about getting a copy of In Your Room for my shelves (I had lent mine out and it got lost), she was totally up for it and sent me one. She's the sweetest and I so wish we didn't live on opposite sides of the US! I'd love to hang out with her sometime. Maybe at next year's BEA? Anyway, if you haven't picked up In Your Room yet, go get it and read it! If you've read it already, re-read it. It's such an awesome book.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds cute, I have never even heard of it before which is what this idea is good for, maybe I'll be able to pick it up cheaply what with it being a few years old!

    ReplyDelete