Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Fallen Angel by Heather Terrell


Fallen Angel by Heather Terrell
"Ellie was never particularly good at talking to boys—or anyone other than her best friend and fellow outcast, Ruth. Then she met Michael.

Michael is handsome, charming, sweet. And totally into Ellie. It’s no wonder she is instantly drawn to him. But Michael has a secret. And he knows Ellie is hiding something, too. They’ve both discovered they have powers beyond their imagining. Powers that are otherworldly.

Ellie and Michael are determined to uncover what they are, and how they got this way . . . together. But the truth has repercussions neither could have imagined. Soon they find themselves center stage in an ancient conflict that threatens to destroy everything they love. And it is no longer clear whether Ellie and Michael will choose the same side."- summary from Amazon

I was a bit wary about this book because I've gotten a bit tired of the "love at first sight" plotline and so in the beginning, I wasn't too into the book. I even considered just putting it down and reading something else.

But then a little over a hundred pages in (it was still a fairly quick 100 pages), something clicked. I think it was the fact that Ellie and Michael had had a fight and she was running away so there wasn't any more of that lovey-dovey stuff. Which is alright because I do enjoy romance, but only when it's done right. This just moved way too quick for me. This book is part of a trilogy and so it made me think that the author was moving the Book 2 romance plotline into Book 1 (click link to find out more about the Book 2 syndrome). It was a nice change of pace.

Along with that came information about the mythology behind it all and some action scenes and it was pretty much awesome the rest of the way. The mythology is what really cinched it for me. There's a lot going on here, but it's so unique to me (I haven't read too many fallen angel books) that I was really interested in hearing more. I'm excited for the sequels.

I think another thing in the beginning that bugged me a bit is that once Michael and Ellie find out about each other and all that, they spend a lot of time convinced that they're vampires. The title kinda ruins things. I think it would have been nice to be misled a bit since they don't know much, but when you already know they're fallen angels because of the title, it gets a bit frustrating for the reader when the characters spend a lot of time convinced they're something else.

Overall, the book has some flaws, but for a paperback book, it's decent and the good does outweigh the bad by a lot. Definitely worth a shot while you wait for the final book in the Hush Hush trilogy. Plus, Book 2 will be out early next summer, I think.

FTC: Received ARC via Around the World Tours. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful cover! I might have to add this book to my TBR pile. I am a sucker for "love at first sight"-stories :)

    ReplyDelete