Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Royal Wedding by Meg Cabot

Royal Wedding by Meg Cabot
"For Princess Mia, the past five years since college graduation have been a whirlwind of activity, what with living in New York City, running her new teen community center, being madly in love, and attending royal engagements. And speaking of engagements. Mia’s gorgeous longtime boyfriend Michael managed to clear both their schedules just long enough for an exotic (and very private) Caribbean island interlude where he popped the question! Of course Mia didn’t need to consult her diary to know that her answer was a royal oui.

But now Mia has a scandal of majestic proportions to contend with: Her grandmother’s leaked “fake” wedding plans to the press that could cause even normally calm Michael to become a runaway groom. Worse, a scheming politico is trying to force Mia’s father from the throne, all because of a royal secret that could leave Genovia without a monarch. Can Mia prove to everyone—especially herself—that she’s not only ready to wed, but ready to rule as well?"- summary from Amazon

I cannot believe it's been 5 years since the last Princess Diaries book, and I did not know how badly I wanted one until it arrived in the mail. I read this a couple months ago, shortly after receiving it (and then read the middle-grade companion book right after), and I loved every single page of it. Mia is still the same neurotic, obsessive person she always is, but she's definitely an adult now, dealing with bigger issues and Cabot made sure to show that she has matured very well in the 7 years that have passed (in the book's timeline). It's a nice change of pace from the teenage Mia, and I could not get enough of her and her friends and family. It's so nice to be enveloped in this world again and catch up with everyone and see how they're all doing. And of course, Cabot's humor is still in full force, eliciting many a giggle from me as I read page after page.

Overall, this is a wonderful continuation of the Princess Diaries series and I hope that Cabot gives us a book every couple years to keep us in Mia's life and see how she's doing.

FTC: Received ARC from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to be reviewing this one soon! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying this so far, I just don't enjoy the scandal so far. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent hours on the Meg Cabot Book Club forums as a teenager and wrote endless Mia/Michael fanfics all leading up to this moment. I feel simultaneously 14 and 25. So excited to finish this book!

    ReplyDelete