Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, May 5, 2014

Catherine by April Lindner

Catherine by April Lindner
"A forbidden romance. A modern mystery. Wuthering Heights as you've never seen it before.

Catherine is tired of struggling musicians befriending her just so they can get a gig at her Dad's famous Manhattan club, The Underground. Then she meets mysterious Hence, an unbelievably passionate and talented musician on the brink of success. As their relationship grows, both are swept away in a fiery romance. But when their love is tested by a cruel whim of fate, will pride keep them apart?

Chelsea has always believed that her mom died of a sudden illness, until she finds a letter her dad has kept from her for years -- a letter from her mom, Catherine, who didn't die: She disappeared. Driven by unanswered questions, Chelsea sets out to look for her -- starting with the return address on the letter: The Underground."- summary from Amazon

I'd been wanting to read one of Lindner's books for the longest time, pretty much ever since Jane came out a few years ago. I saw it all over the place at BEA and Meg Cabot had it on her forums as the book of the month. But I never got around to reading either one of her books until I met her at a signing and she hooked me up with an e-galley of Catherine. It still took me a while to read, but once I did, I was so glad for it.

The story goes back and forth between Chelsea and Catherine, which was a great choice to do. We get to see a first-hand account from Catherine as well as through some diary entries in Chelsea's parts toward the end of the novel. I really enjoyed the mystery of Catherine's life and disappearance, and Lindner handled it really well. All the characters are written well, and I really enjoyed spending time with them.

Overall, I'm so glad I finally read this and will have to check out Jane soon. Catherine is out in hardcover now, but will be released in paperback this August!

FTC: Received e-galley from publisher and Netgalley. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

No comments:

Post a Comment