Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

More Than Good Enough by Crissa-Jean Chappell

More than Good Enough by Crissa-Jean Chappell
"Half native. Half white.
One hundred percent nothing.


My mom doesn’t want me. My dad just got out of jail. They want me to go live with him on the reservation, in the Everglades. Trouble is, everybody there just ignores me.

At least I get to work with Pippa on my film project at school. We used to be friends when we were like twelve. Now that we’re hanging out again it’s like old times—except she’s way cuter.

The thing is, I don’t belong anywhere. I don’t fit in on the rez, and I suck at school. My dad thinks I’m an idiot, but Pippa thinks I’m all good.

I don’t know what to think. Am I bad news or am I more than good enough?"- summary from Amazon

I really enjoyed Chappell's debut and have been looking forward to more from her. I own her second book Narc, but couldn't find the time to fit it in though after reading this, I am going to have to make time. I absolutely love Chappell's writing and I feel like she's writing about characters and settings that no one else does but that needs to be written and told. I don't think I've ever read a book from a Native American's point of view; maybe I'm not looking hard enough though. But what I like is that while Chappell does bring in Native American traditions, it doesn't feel like that is all that defines Trent. He's still a regular boy that I think readers will relate to; the main aspect of the book is about finding your place in this world. The book is a quick read, and there is a sweet little romance in it.

Overall, I highly recommend this book along with Chappell's writing in general. Please check her books out; you won't be disappointed.

FTC: Received e-galley from Netgalley. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

No comments:

Post a Comment