Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Friday, November 22, 2013

The Truth About You and Me by Amanda Grace

The Truth About You and Me by Amanda Grace
"On her first day at Green River Community College, Madelyn Hawkins meets Bennett Cartwright, her biology professor. He’s funny. He’s interested. And he has no idea that Madelyn is only sixteen.

When they’re together, Madelyn feels more alive than she’s ever felt before. And she knows Bennett feels the same way. She also knows that if she tells him her real age, their relationship will be over.

So Madelyn makes a simple decision.
She won’t tell him."- summary from Amazon

This is my first Amanda Grace book (though I've read her real life alter-ego Mandy Hubbard) and it certainly won't be my last. I absolutely enjoyed this book and it's such a departure from the usual plotline of these kinds of books. I liked that the underage girl wanted the relationship and pushed for it; there's a real relationship here, aside from that secret (which shouldn't matter at all, in my opinion). I'm sure quite a few people will be put off by the age difference and the whole teacher/student thing, but that didn't bother me at all. I don't necessarily know what Grace wants to say with this book, but for me, it showed that not all of these relationships are bad or that the teacher is a predator or whatever.

I liked how Grace told the book through Madelyn writing the letter to Bennett and there's some interesting reveals as the book goes on, utilizing that format. It's a good way of telling the story, looking back on it from present day and the events that had unfolded.

Overall, a really well-written, emotional and, yes, romantic book. I definitely recommend it and I'm excited to go back and read previous titles from Grace.

FTC: Received e-galley from Netgalley. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the sound of this so I will look out for it, I have only read one book by Mandy Hubbard and that was Ripple and I enjoyed it, I actually didn't know she was also Amanda Grace, why confuse us?

    ReplyDelete