Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Abandon by Meg Cabot


Abandon by Meg Cabot
"Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld."- summary from Amazon

I have been excited for this book and trilogy since it was first announced way back in the beginning of 2008. Cabot does her usual wonderful job of crafting memorable characters, a setting that's used like another character, and a captivating romance. Reading a Cabot book is like meeting up with an old friend- while the book is darker than her previous ones, you still see that Cabot style of writing that's made readers fall in love with her books time and time again.

However, I did have a problem. I know people have mentioned the flashbacks and being confused by the shifts, but I never had that problem. I always knew from the beginning what was flashback and what wasn't; usually, it was a whole chapter (almost a back and forth kind of thing, but never in the same page like I've seen some people say). My problem though was the pacing- I really felt like there was a lot of unnecessary scenes that could've been cut out and the story would've been fine. This book at least could've been shortened- I don't know what Cabot has up her sleeve for the next two books so I can't really say that it could've all been in one book yet.

Once the action really got going though in the last 100 pages, it was amazing. I was really surprised at the twist and may have even gasped a bit. I loved Pierce and John's romance; I know John is a death deity and all, but I still really grew to love him over the course of the book.

Overall, this is a pretty good Cabot book though it reads like the start of a trilogy (all set up, very little action) and I am quite excited to see where Cabot takes us in Book 2, which unfortunately we have to wait a year for.

PS Who else LOVES this cover? It's amazing! I can't wait to see what they do for Books 2 and 3!

FTC: Received ARC from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

4 comments:

  1. I just won a copy of this book - really looking forward to it. Although I didn't realize it was a trilogy - ah I am always accidentally reading series and then counting down the days to book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one!
    YAY!
    I'm glad you liked it over all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read a book by Meg Cabot before, but obviously that has to change. Sounds like one I'll have to check out! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever read her series Queen of Babble? It is so funny!

    Check out/follow my new blog at http://ya100words.blogspot.com/
    to find YA Lit book reviews in 100 words or less and songs to read by!

    ReplyDelete