Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ask Book Chic (1)

So at the end of March, I posted up a request for questions for my newly resurrected Ask Book Chic feature. I hope to do at least two a month, but it all depends on how many questions I get and all that. So if you'd like this to continue, please leave a comment on this entry with your questions or email me. I will answer pretty much anything, so it can be personal, blog-related, review-related, whatever. Can't wait to see what questions you all have!

Liz asks "I don't know if you ever posted this, but what would say your top 5 or 10 all time favorite books are?"

I probably have posted this, but if I did, it was on the Myspace blog and it's hard to find things there. Now, my critera for this is re-readability. I love A LOT of books, as you've all seen from my reviews, so if I am willing to take time out of my busy schedule to re-read something, it's an all-time favorite. Here's my meager list, lol:

1) Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot
2) Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett
3) Bad Kitty by Michele Jaffe
4) Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
5) In Your Room by Jordanna Fraiberg
6) Burned by Ellen Hopkins

All of them are fantastic books. If you haven't already, check them out sometime!


Rose asks "Oh I know what I wanted to ask you and I keep forgetting! Do you have a GoodReads account? I'd love to be your friend on there :). Also, who is your favorite character from a book?"

Unfortunately, I don't have a GoodReads account, but maybe I should get one? It would probably be a lot easier to keep track of books. What do you all think?

As for my favorite character, I have several. I've loved Jonathan from The Straight Road to Kylie by Nico Medina and pretty much wanted him as my boyfriend. Can anyone work on making that possible? If it could also be the guy who's on the cover of that book, that'd be great too. And I know that you can only see his backside on the cover, but it's a NICE backside. So presumably, the front is even better.

I also really liked Tiny Cooper from Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. He's such a sweet guy and it sucks that he hasn't found his true love yet. He's another gay character I'd love to date, though maybe he found his perfect ending at the end of WGWG, though I don't know SINCE IT ENDED ABRUPTLY WITH NO RESOLUTION!!

Me? Bitter? At the ending? Psh, never.

Anyway, now someone who's not gay or that I want to date, Heather Wells from Meg Cabot's Heather Wells series. I love pop stars, and coupled with Meg's trademark wit, Heather is a character I'd love to hang out with, though I would not help her with her crime solving because I am a wimp. She reminds me a bit of Kirstie Alley, who's another person I'd love to spend some time with.

That's really all I can think of right now, though I love a lot of characters (especially male romantic leads, lol) and enjoy reading about their lives and spending time with them throughout the course of their story.


Melissa asks "I'll play! What's your biggest YA pet peeve? Also, do you write or just review books?"

You know, a lot of people talk about their pet peeves while reading but I don't really have any. I go with the flow whenever reading something, which perhaps causes my positive reviews of books. Nothing really peeves me in any way. Maybe plot threads being left open in a standalone book? (WGx2, I'm looking at you!) But that doesn't happen too often. I usually don't get upset or anything when I notice something like unbelievable dialogue or love at first sight or whatever; it bothers me for a few pages but then I let it go and continue with the story, if I'm engaged enough with it.

I do actually write, or at least used to when I was in college and had time to write, lol. Or, well, I was really forced to write because I was an English major and took writing classes. That forced me to write and it's something I need to start doing again. Someone needs to force me to write, lol. It's hard to juggle writing with reading, reviewing, relaxation time, work, hanging out with friends. But my ultimate goal is to become a published author so I really need to get started on that, finish the stories I've begun, and really push myself to get to that goal I want. I do have someone looking at a couple chapters of something I wrote, so I hope to hear back from them soon with some critique.

Since I do mainly review YA, my stories are in the same genre, though I have started an adult story (and I don't mean THAT kind of adult, though I have dabbled in that too, lol) that I need to rework and restart. I didn't get too far, so it's not a huge deal, but it's something I'm excited about.


Alright, so that concludes this first entry into the Ask Book Chic feature. Please leave any feedback you have in the comments, or email me what you think. Keep those questions coming in!

Also, BIG NEWS! I mentioned this on the weekend, but here it is again. I will be at Lisa McMann's event in Pittsburgh, PA tonight. You can find out all about the event here, so if you're in the area, please come out and support Lisa!

3 comments:

  1. *clap clap clap* Great post! And YES I sincerely think you should get a Goodreads account because I can scarcely keep up with all the amazing books you read :).

    I'll keep musing on another question for you...have to think of a good one....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree get on Goodreads :)

    I love Good Omens I can read that again and again and again!

    Good luck with your writing.

    Here's 3 Q

    a) Who are your favourite authors, the ones where you are counting down to their next book?

    b) Do you wait a while to review a book or do you write the review straight away?

    c) Favoutite Book of 2010 so far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so great meeting you tonight! I'll definitely be checking out your blog often. I'm always looking for great YA reviews and blogs.

    I agree about Goodreads. It's a really great way to keep track of your "read" list and "to-read" list, and it's great for seeing what your friends are reading and like and such.

    ReplyDelete