Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Friday, May 2, 2014

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
"A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth."- summary from Amazon

I absolutely adore E. Lockhart and her books, and was eagerly anticipating her newest YA novel from the moment the sale was announced. I was extremely lucky to receive an advance copy of it and while I wasn't as enamored by it as a lot of my peers, it is still a very good book. Think 4.5 stars instead of 5, lol. For some reason, it just didn't leave me feeling as breathless or with "all the feels" as it did with a lot of my friends. I do still highly recommend it though.

It's a very interesting novel, told in 1st person like a lot of YA novels but for me at least, it really had a 3rd person feel to it- a sort of detached look at events, people, places and things that keeps the reader from really getting to know Cadence. The book is broken up into five parts- the first three parts set everything up; there's a lot of background information, flashbacks, learning more about members of the Sinclair family. It flows along nicely, if sometimes a little boring. I did particularly enjoy the short little fairy tale retellings though. I don't want to say too much else though; it really is a novel to be discovered knowing as little as possible and to just go along with the journey and experience it.

Overall, this is a smart, expertly told book about family and friends, success and failure, lies and love, and so many other things. I can't even really put it into words very well. And if you haven't read Lockhart before, start with this and then read everything else she's done; you will not be disappointed.

FTC: Received ARC from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to finally get my hands on this book, I have read numerous reviews of it and still don't totally know what its about. Its all so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete