Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, January 13, 2014

Phantom Eyes by Scott Tracey

Phantom Eyes by Scott Tracey
"The bells sing with dark energy as Grace emerges from the shadows. The end is about to begin.

After Grace Lansing ripped out the power of his witch eyes, Braden is left broken. His beloved Uncle John is dead, his body is being hijacked like a puppet, and everyone—from ghosts to demons to warlocks—seems to have Braden’s death on their to-do lists. Torn between fleeing to safety and making a stand to regain his power, Braden searches for answers about the witch feud’s origins.

But when Grace sets her ancient plan in motion, Braden is determined to reclaim his birthright. As key players converge on the deep wellsprings of magical energy hidden in town, one thing becomes clear: whoever controls the magic will control Belle Dam. Braden’s only hope is to become the weapon he never wanted to be, but could unleash the monster that lurks inside him."- summary from Amazon

I really enjoyed this conclusion to the Witch Eyes trilogy and think Tracey did a wonderful job wrapping the whole thing up. It was simply perfect. I had trouble putting this book down once I got back into it; I had read about 50 pages of the e-galley before it expired, and had to wait til I bought the paperback and then find time for it in my reading schedule. But for the rest of those 350 pages, I was hooked.

There's so many twists and turns throughout the book, and a ton of manipulation and action going on; it makes for some really compelling reading and surprising reveals. Braden is such a great main character, and I love his on-again, off-again thing with Trey. Tracey did a wonderful job with the climax, and the ending is fantastic and handled so well. I loved it.

Overall, a seriously amazing, fitting end to this witchy trilogy. I highly recommend it, as well as Tracey's other series, which started with Moonset last year (with the sequel, Darkbound, out this April). Both series deal with witches in different ways, and it's so intriguing reading the mythology and seeing how powers work in each of these different worlds.

FTC: Bought paperback. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved how this trilogy wrapped up. I've got the second Moonset book on my TBR and can't wait to get to it.

    ReplyDelete