Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sad News

So if you've been on Twitter anytime in the last two weeks or so (and you follow me), you may have seen some of my tweets about something not so fun going on in my life. I've been diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma, though they still are not exactly sure what specifically it is that I have. I'm in the middle of going through a bunch of testing to figure it out. I'll hopefully know for sure next Friday, Oct 4 when I see my doctor again for results. But one thing is for sure: I will need chemotherapy. They just need to figure out how much and for how long.

I am pretty scared regarding what's coming up in the next few months, but I've already gotten a bunch of support on Twitter from the YA community and from my friends and co-workers that really boosts my spirit. I am very positive about this whole thing, and it is a very treatable cancer, so there's nothing too bad going on (i.e. I'm like 99% sure I won't die).

I will keep all of you posted on my Facebook (personal one, if you're friends with me) and Twitter as I go through this. If any of you can help, I've added a Paypal donation button if you want to help out with my mounting medical bills, other bills and getting the new Cher and Lady Gaga CDs.

No one probably cares about this blog after that news, but I have a bunch of scheduled posts through the beginning of December, with more being added before chemo even starts so you'll still get to read reviews and maybe an interview here and there.

If there are any questions, leave them in the comments and I'll get around to them when I can. Hopefully over the next few days.

17 comments:

  1. So sorry about your news. I'm glad it's treatable. Watching my sister go through a 15 year battle with breast cancer, I saw how her positive attitude through all the chemo treatments and taking care of herself really helped her battle the disease for longer. So stay positive and take care of yourself. We'll understand if you're not around much for awhile and will still be here when things settle down for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered when I saw your review. I know it's like a punch in the gut, but you can do this, my friend. I've known quite a few who've gone through this very same treatment and they're all doing great now. In fact, they'd all tell you that the fear is much worse than the treatment itself. My thoughts and my heart are with you. You're going to be okay! You have many many many many many more blog posts to write! Love you. J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness--I am so sorry to hear this. Sending you lots of love and healing thoughts. (((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending you lots of good health thoughts; take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following your blog for awhile and always enjoy your reviews. Sending tons and tons of positive vibes your way. Stay strong and get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck. Chemotherapy is rough, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know a few people, including my ex-husband, who had Hodgkins and beat it. Keep your spirits up and fight hard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending good and positive thoughts your way! Fight this thing and keep your great attitude. I'll continue to look forward to your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh James, I'm sorry to hear about this and I'm sending you lots of hugs, healing vibes, and virtual Lady Gaga CDs to speed you along on your recovery. You can beat this. <3 xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad it's treatable. I had a cousin who had leukemia and I know how torn up you probably are right now. Chemo is rough but friends, family, doctors and nurses, good books, and a positive attitude help immensely. Definitely will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear your news but happy to know you have a lot of supports IRL and online and we know you can do everything & anything you have to and need to with no explanations necessary. I watched this happen through two different lenses and I can say good rest, good eating, detoxifying and a healthy attitude will see you through whatever comes next. You are unstoppable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate to hear about this happening to anyone, of course, but especially to someone as nice as you. I wish for you swift and effective treatment; healing and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Take good care of yourself in the coming months, James. You are always so positive, I know that will really help you in the coming months. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sending all of my positive thoughts and energy towards you, James. You can kick this in the ass. If you ever need a place to rant, just shoot me an email or Tweet or something. The community will take care of you.
    *all the hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  15. <3 sending all my love and prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Boothy, I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. We met (sort of) through the Meg Cabot Book Club. I hope you reach out to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society - they have really great people and all sorts of resources for patients and families - they were great to us when my dad had leukemia (both times!). I wish you a speedy recovery. - KarateSox

    ReplyDelete