Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, August 5, 2013

Author Interview- Jessi Kirby

1) How did you get the idea for Golden?

It’s hard to pinpoint one place where I got the idea, but I can think of one really early inspiration. To this day, in the town where I went to college, there is a billboard up with a picture of a girl who disappeared more than ten years ago. The story of her disappearance has become somewhat of a legend in the town, one which I always found fascinating, so I think that’s where Julianna’s story came from. Originally, the book was going to be much more focused on her, but in writing it, I found she was only a piece of it, and that Parker’s story was truly the focus.


2) What are you currently working on? Can you tell us anything about it?

Right now I’m working on my next contemp, which is more of a love story than anything else I’ve written. It’s a complicated love story, one that I hope will turn out romantic, and sad, and hopeful all at the same time.


3) I've already asked you your favorite Jelly Belly jelly bean flavor, so what's your favorite snack to have while writing, or as a reward for writing?

My most favorite treat to have while writing is Trader Joe’s Pomegranate and Blueberry Green Tea, and their Dark Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans. I swear the two together are like a magic focusing potion. My favorite reward for having written? A good glass of wine.


4) What book(s) are you reading now, or are about to start?

Right now it’s Ann Brashares’ adult novel, MYNAME IS MEMORY, which a love story that takes place over thousands of years as the two souls involved are reincarnated again and again. It’s beautiful and sad and romantic—right up my alley. On deck after that are LOTS of non-fiction books about the heart, it’s medical history, and its place in culture throughout history. You could call those books research for the one I’m working on now.
;-)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Great interview!

    Jessi and her books are both so awesome.

    But, now I really want chocolate covered espresso beans. xD

    ReplyDelete