Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Interview with Barrie Summy
1) How did you get the idea for i so don't do spooky? How many books will there be in this series?
For Sherry's second book, I wanted her to tackle a mystery she didn't really want to solve. Which is why she has to save her not-so-favorite person (her stepmother, The Ruler) . Also, I've done some website judging for high school robotics and wanted to include a little of that. And I had a really yucky experience with a psychic and wanted to have a psychic in the book (although not yucky).
At this point, there are four books in the series.
2) What are you working on now? Can you tell us anything about it?
I'm just finishing up writing i so don't do famous. In this book, Sherry busts up a teen burglary ring in Hollywood.
3) What's your daily writing process like? Take us through a typical day in your life.
Oh dear. Now, people will see how boring my life really is.:)
First, I get my kids off to school. Once I'm back home from that, I tidy up a little bit. I especially love writing when a household machine is on and working. So, I'll often throw in a load of laundry before settling down with my laptop. And then I write for the morning. Child #3 comes home for lunch, so I break for that. And I try to squeeze in another hour of writing before the craziness of homework, sports, carpooling, dinner, etc. takes over my afternoon and evening. Once the kids are in bed for the night, I try to writing a little more.
See. I warned you. Boring.
4) You've listed some odd things about yourself in the bio on your website. Tell us two or three more odd/weird things about yourself.
Hmmm.....well, you should probably check with my children about this! Personally, I don't think there are two or three more odd/weird things.
How about this? I will only drink hot tea if it's made with boiling water. I hardly watch any television at all. I prefer to write with pencils over pens. I'm crazy about veiled chameleons. We have two (a male and a female) and 51 eggs!
See? Nothing particularly odd.
5) You grew up in Canada, but now live in California. How did that happen?
I wanted to live in Toronto, Ontario. My husband wanted to live in Dallas, TX. San Diego was our default city where nobody felt like the other person had won. We've been here about twenty years!
6) What book(s) are you reading now?
The Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd.
7) What is your favorite Jelly Belly jelly bean flavor?
I'm all about licorice. So...black.
8) What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Read, read, read. Then, read some more. Write, write, write. Then, write some more. And try to enjoy yourself!