Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

In My Mailbox + Retrospective

Short post this week as I didn't get much. I got a second copy of Chasing Brooklyn due to my first copy being defective. 30 pages (281-312) were repeated and took the place of pages 313-344, so I couldn't continue with my copy, but I just read those 30 pages at the bookstore and then finished my copy. And the other book I got this week was:


Dirty Little Secrets by C.J. Omololu
For sixteen years, Lucy has kept her mother's hoarding a secret. She's had to-nobody would understand the stacks of newspapers and mounds of garbage so high they touch the ceiling and the rotting smell that she's always worried would follow her out the house. After years of keeping people at a distance, she finally has a best friend and maybe even a boyfriend if she can play it right. As long as she can make them think she's normal.

When Lucy arrives home from a sleepover to find her mother dead under a stack of National Geographics, she starts to dial 911 in a panic, but pauses before she can connect. She barely notices the filth and trash anymore, but she knows the paramedics will. First the fire trucks, and then news cameras that will surely follow. No longer will they be remembered as the nice oncology nurse with the lovely children-they'll turn into that garbage-hoarding freak family on Collier Avenue.

With a normal life finally within reach, Lucy has only minutes to make a critical decision. How far will she go to keep the family secrets safe?

-- I'm reading it now so I can give it to my roommate afterward since she's really interested in reading this book too, and it's REALLY good though different than I expected.


And here's my small retrospective:

Monday- I reviewed Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder.

Friday- I reviewed Darklight by Lesley Livingston.

3 comments:

  1. Dirty Little Secrets looks really interesting to me. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sound good, I hope you're enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dirty Little Secrets looks really good. Hope you enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete