Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr


Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr
Seth never expected he would want to settle down with anyone—but that was before Aislinn. She is everything he'd ever dreamed of, and he wants to be with her forever. Forever takes on new meaning, though, when your girlfriend is an immortal faery queen. Aislinn never expected to rule the very creatures who'd always terrified her—but that was before Keenan. He stole her mortality to make her a monarch, and now she faces challenges and enticements beyond any she'd ever imagined. In Melissa Marr's third mesmerizing tale of Faerie, Seth and Aislinn struggle to stay true to themselves and each other in a milieu of shadowy rules and shifting allegiances, where old friends become new enemies and one wrong move could plunge the Earth into chaos.

I enjoyed this novel, but I don't think it's as good as the first two books. The prose and storyline are compelling enough but not a lot of stuff happens in this book, despite the longer length. Something I really enjoyed though was how the world of Faerie ruled by Sorcha worked. I think those were my favorite scenes, especially the ones between Seth and Sorcha. The love triangle aspect was still really interesting to read about and Marr did a great job with that. The ending was left way open and ends pretty abruptly even though, yes, the book is 400 pages, so it's a bit unsatisfactory. I understand that there's a sequel coming but the author doesn't have to leave an ending this open. Either way, I will continue to read Melissa's books. If I had a 5 star rating, I'd give this a 2.5- I'm very much in the middle when it comes to this novel and that made this review hard to write.

4 comments:

  1. 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. *sigh* there's gonna be like 2 more books coming out for this series so far :/ It's almost never ending at this pace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also felt that it moves slowly and ends abruptly, and I think a lot of other people did. I still liked it, though, mostly because of something I can't say for spoiler reasons. Good review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this but you are right not a lot happens. The one good thing was with the Seth advances and hopefully that will further along into better things in the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's mostly fascinating, but lacking in some parts.

    I can't wait for the next book though, and how much deeper things get.

    ReplyDelete